In this module you will learn how to use the Linear Gauge Power BI Custom Visual. The Linear Gauge would often be used to visualize a KPI. It gives you the ability to compare an actual vs target as well as showing up to two trend lines.
Module 30 – Linear Gauge
- Power BI Custom Visual – Linear Gauge
- Dataset – Region Gauge.xlsx
- Completed Example – Module 30 – Linear Gauge.pbix
- The Linear Gauge allows you to compares actual values vs a goal.
- This visual has automatically built-in the ability to calculate a variance.
- It also has the ability to visualize up to two trend lines. For example, to display a month over month and year over year variance.
This shows 4 separate Linear Gauges displaying sales performance by region.
- Under the Format paintbrush there are several options available for customizing the Linear Gauge.
- Usually our General section doesn’t have much to offer other than the size and placement of our visual. However for the Linear Gauge it also allows you to change the color of the bar used in the gauge using the Main Color and Comparison Color properties.
- Under the Data label section you can the format of how the measure values are displayed on the gauges and the color of the text that those values are showed in.
- Under the Trend label section you can the format how the trend values are displayed on the gauges and the color of the text that those values are showed in.
In addition to these properties you have a set of settings that appears on every visual to adjust the background color, add a border around the visual and lock the aspect ratio.
Find Out More
You will always be able to find this video module and advanced viewing of future modules on the Pragmatic Works On Demand Training platform. Click here to learn more about this training platform that includes 25+ courses.
Catch up on all the Power BI Custom Visuals blog posts here.