In this module you will learn how to use the Hierarchy Chart. The Hierarchy Chart displays hierarchical data in a tree format.
Module 98 – Hierarchy Chart
- Power BI Custom Visual – Hierarchy Chart
- Dataset – Family Tree.xlsx
- Completed Example – Module 98 – Hierarchy Chart by Akvelon.pbix
- Displays hierarchical data in a tree format.
- Easily expand and collapse hierarchy view.
This Hierarchy Chart by Akvelon a family tree displayed in a Power BI report.
Under the Format paintbrush you will find several settings that are specific to this visual.
- In the Levels section you can add or remove the drill controls at the top of the visual. You can also use this to control how deep the hierarchy chart is allowed to display.
- Using the Type Colors section you can change the colors of each unique values that are in the type field.
- By changing the Nodes properties you can modify the text size in each node or even the shape.
- The Legend properties allow you to change the location, size and color of the legend.
- If you would like to change the color of the links connecting each node you can modify the property under the Links section.
- The Hierarchy Chart does not allow for circular hierarchies or ID that reference themselves. In those cases a warning will appear which you can turn off with the Warning property.
You can also adjust the background color, add a border around the visual and lock the aspect ratio under the Format section.
Find Out More
You will always be able to find this video module and advanced viewing of future modules on the Pragmatic Works On Demand Training platform. Click here to learn more about this training platform that includes 30+ courses.