In this module you will learn how to use the Dot Plot Custom Visual by MAQ Software. The Dot Plot is used to show distribution using dots among multiple categories or attributes.
Module 64 – Dot Plot (MAQ Software)
- Power BI Custom Visual – Dot Plot (MAQ Software)
- Dataset – Regional Sales.xlsx
- Completed Example – Module 64 – Dot Plot (MAQ Software).pbix
- Shows a distribution using dots among multiple categories.
- View the data by multiple categories.
This Dot Plot displays sales by territory, state and year.
- Under the Format paintbrush there are several sections available to modify the appearance of this visual.
- Under the Orientation section you can adjust the orientation to show the chart either vertically or horizontally.
- Under the Y-Axis section you can change the beginning and end points of the axis as well as modify the formatting of what’s displayed on the axis.
- Under the X-Axis section you can change the beginning and end points of the axis as well as modify the formatting of what’s displayed on the axis.
- Changing the Axis category section allows you to control how the values in the Axis category II field is displayed.
- Using the Data colors section you can adjust the colors that are using on each bubble.
- The Background banding On settings allow you to control how the shaded banding appears on the visual.
- The Tick marks section allows you to control the formatting of the tick marks that appear on the between the categories you have added.
- Using the Grid lines properties allow you to control the lines that appear both vertically and horizontally on the chart. You can turn them off, change their color or modify their thickness.
- Finally, if you would like the change the size of the bubbles on the chart you can set specific min and max radius sizes for the bubbles by modifying the Bubbles section.
In addition to these properties you have a set of settings that appears on every visual to adjust the background color, add a border around the visual and lock the aspect ratio.
Find Out More
You will always be able to find this video module and advanced viewing of future modules on the Pragmatic Works On Demand Training platform. Click here to learn more about this training platform that includes 30+ courses.
Catch up on all the Power BI Custom Visuals blog posts here.